From LA to Mexico

We´re now on day 2 of mexico. Our last day in LA was amazing: we went to Santa Monica Pier, and walked to Venice Beach and watched the sun set. Travelling through LA on 2 buses was great, so much to see and met a few locals along the way.

Standing on Venice Beach, on the otherside of the Pacific Ocean was an incredible feeling, especially as the sun went down. We were with our new german friends: Charlotte, Christina and Michael.

Unfortunately, after staying up right through till 3am to catch our shuttle was the start of a bad run. We were dropped off at the wrong terminal, stood in the wrong line for a while before making a mission over thr other side to the right one. It was at this point I´d discovered I´d sprained my ankle quite severely. I can only assume it was from the walk around LA Venice Beach in thongs.

After finally checking in, we realised we had not recieved our boarding passes: making our way back down to the checkin, the woman finally gave us our boarding passes, but informed us that Sutho and Chizm would have to go back to the American Airlines terminal to be issues new passes - because ''both their first names were the same and it causes a problem in the system'' but we can´t be sure.

Chivers, Chris and I made our way through the airport to the gate. We waited as long as we could before boarding the plane after being assured that Sutho and Chizm would be put on the next flight with no charge.

Exhausted and frustrated we´d been up for clos to 24 hours straight. We boarded, had minmial sleep on the 3 hour flight, and picked up our bags at the other end.

It hit me.

I didn´t have my wallet on me. Anywhere. Credit card, bank cards, driver´s licence and phone card. Fucking gone.

We then spent an hour through the airports administration areas in broken Spanish and English and left our details with the airline (we can assume it could have only been lost/stolen between the flight and landing in Mexico).

We got into the hostel, I rang Virgin to cancel my card. To make things worse ING would not accept a change of bank account link, so my savings cannot leave the account. It was at about this point I was ready to come home. I was totally exhausted, pissed off and worst of all didn´t want to burden my friends with any of this.

It was early evening so we decided to go out that night to find some food, which was great. We saw quite a bit of the city in that short walk. Waiters were very kind to our broken Spanish and wide eyes. The highlight was when the bill came back with a translated sentance ''The total does not include tip :p'' with the smiley face drawn on. It was great, and we all cracked up.

Thankfully I´d photocopied every card of mine, including the phone card. So afert dinner I made the much needed call home. Nobody was home earlier, but it was good to talk to Mum and talk it all through. I'd been awake for over 36 hours and was beside myself. I knew I just needed to get to bed. With money and access sorted out I felt better. I rang Elise and it was really good to hear her voice again, and talk it through.

Finally went to bed. Awake now and feeling much better.

0 comments:


 

produced by jye smith 2007 | xxxjye@gmail.com | contact